Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Japan Day 3: Kamakura

   It was a long and awesome day. I got a sunburn (I wore sunscreen every day in Taiwan) but it was worth it, we the Kamakura Daibutsu, Hasedera Temple, Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine and Kencho-ji. 3 Buddhist temples and one Shinto shrine in a day can run together a bit but I would absolutely do it again.
 
Kamakura Daibutsu

Entrance to Hasedera Temple 



These cute little Ojizo-sama statues were tucked away along the trail (and represent one of the few things I really knew about Buddhism before I took my Japanese history class)

The entrance to the Shinto shrine presented a prime photo opportunity  
A couple taking wedding photos
There are a lot of little food carts just inside the gate, this one had pineapple 


Miko running a little stall for talismans and things

Sake offerings

We were really lucky and got to see a wedding in progress!

At Kencho-ji





    There was another building at Kencho-ji but it was a 15 minute hike away and I din't have time to visit it but I'd like to if I ever get another chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment