Monday, June 3, 2013

Day 9: Tunghai University

    We started our first day at Tunghai with a lecture on Taiwanese Financial markets. It was interesting, but I think the rest of the class liked it more than I did since many of them kept saying it was their favorite lecture so far. I think this was partly because I was tired that day and partly because financial markets aren't my main area of interest while the cross-cultural communication and brand management lectures were more of my thing. The professor, Dr. Chen-Jui Huang, was really energetic and enthusiastic about the material and would be great to take a class from and still had me enjoying the lecture much more than I would have otherwise (it isn't that I hate financial markets but I don't love them and combined with not sleeping well for days, it's a miracle I found the lecture interesting). We learned about, among other things, the low inflation rate in Taiwan.

   After that a professor from Belgium gave us a tour of the school. It was founded when 13 christian schools came together and is most famous for it's chapel.
   We also saw the famous women's prison (aka the female dorms)

    Then we had our group discussion and met some Tunghai students and did a little presentation about university life in America.  When the students asked questions at the end and when we sat with them to talk they seemed really shy and only the "good English speakers" talked a lot, the rest only asked maybe one question and only in the small groups.

     Then a bunch of us went to the small night market near the school.


No comments:

Post a Comment